Thursday, August 7, 2008

My Goal: Become Overweight

Body Mass Index (BMI) was invented so people of different heights could compare there relative fatness...I mean fitness...in some meaningful way. Somehow, some scientist somewhere said, "What if we take a person's weight in kilograms and divide it by the square of his or her height in meters?" (An obvious solution....) And so BMI was born. To convert that crazy formula to English measurements (i.e., to use pounds and inches), you just have to multiply the whole crazy mess by 705. In other words, here's the formula:
BMI = Weight (lbs.) / Height (in.)2 x 705
So, according to BMI, I am currently Obese. At 280, my highest weight and the point from which I began this recent weight loss, I had a BMI of 37. As you can see from the chart above, that put me at the high side of Obese. Eleven more pounds, and I would have been categorized as Morbidly Obese. Yikes.
Now, at 253, I have a BMI of 34 and I am now officially closer to being merely Overweight. To actually attain my goal of being merely Overweight, I'd have to weight 217. That means losing 36 more pounds.
But at 217, I feel and look pretty damned good, to tell the truth. To get down to Normal, or 187 pounds, would put me at a weight I haven't seen since 1982.
Let's just work on getting down to Overweight. We'll see where we go from there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

besides that I can't get the formula to work (stupid computer calculator - how do you figure the square of 65???, asks the math dummy...), I apparently have gone way beyond morbidly obese to mountain-esque... :-/

Anonymous said...

Here's a easy online calculator to figure BMI: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/